Saturday, August 21st 2021
10:00 AM - 2:00 PM
WATCH THE READ-A-THON LIVE ON OUR FACEBOOK FEED
SPONSOR A READER DURING THE EVENT
Quarryville Library will host a virtual Read-a-Thon on Saturday, August 21, from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m., and we invite you to be a part of it!
Thanks to our generous sponsors: Contact us to see how you can participate in this worthy cause, or donate during the day if you’re able!
As our community emerges from the challenges we collectively faced over the past year and a half, we invite you to come together with us to reflect on the different aspects of our lives expressed through the written word. The Read-a-Thon has emerged as not only an important fundraising event for our Library, but also a way to share our common experiences, whether anchored in grief, giggles, or gratitude. This year, we will offer both virtual and live performances by writers both renowned and emerging! You may choose to read your own work, or something that inspires you that you feel moved to share.
Sponsorships are being offered at a variety of levels. We’re looking for event sponsors, media sponsors, author sponsors, prize (in-kind) sponsors, and bookmark sponsors (specific readers or age groups that you may want to designate). Check back to see our list of supporters.
Whether or not you are able to financially support this event, please enjoy watching local patrons as they read from their favorite selections for the community.
- 10:00am- 10:15am: Introduction and welcome by Quarryville Library Director/Youth Services Coordinator Sharon Roche
- 10:15am-11:15am: The Reiter family performs a variety of their works:
- Selected original poems by Geoffrey Reiter,
- Silas Reiter (age 8) will perform original work “The Jewel of the Wild” written this summer through our Young Writer’s Program
- Simon Reiter (age 12) will perform an original short story , “Beyond the Claw River.” Simon participated in our new Teen Zine writer’s program in collaboration with other Lancaster County teens.
- Greta Reiter (age 13) will perform an original short story “The Lake Monster“, written during the teen parks and recreation program “Fish Tales”
- 11:30-12:00 Local young adult author (and long-standing volunteer) Ethan Bressler will read excerpts from his middle grade self-published work The Latirium Crystal
- 12:00 -12:15: Update by Sharon Roche
- 12:30pm-12:45pm : Erin Han, a 9 year old writer in our Young Writer’s Program who joined us from a neighboring town, will read from her original work, Robots Feel, Too!
- 12:45pm-1:00pm: Calliope Gonick, a 6 year old returning veteran novelist from our first Young Writer’s Program, will read from her new novel, The Girl Who Was Always Happy
- 1:15pm-1:45 pm: Susan Mull, local educator and activist, will present original content.
- 1:45pm-2:00pm: Windup, and thanks to readers and sponsors
All donations of $25 or more will receive a gift bag tote with Summer Reading Program themed merchandise and gifts to commemorate the day!
$50 or more will also receive donor’s choice of a signed copy of one of our visiting authors’ published work!
Top six donations will also receive complimentary family pass to Longwood Gardens (good through September). If your business would like to contribute an “in-kind” contribution that we would be able to offer our donors, please contact us at email@example.com. and we will acknowledge your support in physical signage as well as on our social media channels.